Couranga Track, NSW Australia

The Couranga track was described as a 'pleasant' walk and that the entire track requires no previous bush walking experience. I'm going to say that's not the best way to describe this track - it's quite intense and a definite 'bush walk'.

Uloola Falls entrance signage for Couranga Track




Spider webs, snakes, fallen trees, obstacles, overgrown trees and bushes... Don't get me wrong, it was awesome fun, but definitely full on. The beginning of the track starts from South Sydney's Waterfall Train station, follows the Uloola Falls track signage which goes down the Service road until the Couranga sign appears, which follows into the bush.








Service Road pre-Couranga


Terrain Couranga Track
Clearly no one had walked this track this day in late October, or recently for that matter, as majority of the track was connected by webs. Unfortunately, the track trees where in need of spider web wreckage in order to pass. I set out to hike in my North Face Paramount II zip off pants (already zipped off due to the heat), however, due to the overgrown shrubbery, it was quite painful having branches and spiked plants attacking my legs. So the Paramount pants were reattached!

Besides the epic amount of Australian forrest goodness, the early stages of the walk is on flat terrain. This walk gives you a bit of everything though! One minute you are on dirt and sand, next you are walking on a track purely formed by rocks and pebbles, which then leads to pure sticks and twigs, then onto a more wet based soil and rocks, which then has you walking closer to the Hacking river where everything is much more green than earlier anticipated.
Fizan Escape Trekking Poles

Now, I didn't make it to the Hacking River... I turned around with about 45mins to go. I stopped for a second and looked to my left and about 30 cm from my feet was a rather large black snake sun baking on the side of the track. It quickly jumped and slithered away. It was towards the latter part of the trip as we descended into the more 'wet' shrubbery and creeks. I didn't have my gaiters on me, we hadn't passed ANYONE on the trek, and so we made the decision to turn back due to safety. Not worth it. I grew up in Central Queensland, Australia, had snakes in our horse paddock, in the backyard trees but also under my bed! I'm not one to play with fire...

I actually packed my trekking poles in my hiking pack, and I cannot say how thrilled I was to have these! a) I used them as my spider de-webbing mechanism, b) I used them as a snake deterrent by making much more noise whilst walking and c) the return hike was 10 times easier by using my lovely Fizan Escape bad boys!
Entrance Shrubs



The ascent was a hot and hard one, but much easier than the descent as we had already eliminated most of the obstacles on the track. A suggested 4 hours 30 mins (9.8 km), The Couranga Track is not one I would personally recommend walking solo! It's very remote and no phone signal about 30mins into the trek. Go prepared for becoming one with the plants and trees - quite literally!






Gx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gratitude Cafe Part 11 - the final chapter

The Gratitude Cafe Part 10

The Gratitude Cafe Part 7